Monday, January 21, 2013

Chocolate Mint Brownies or a Layered History


I am behind on my writing.  Although, to be fair, my weekends have been full in January.  Full of the things that inspire this blog – family, food, and the house where these recipes were first transcribed and tested.  A mix of nostalgia, grief, happiness, and hope.  Not to mention a huge shift of reality.

The occasion for which I made this entry’s recipe is definitely the superlative of these moments.  Family celebrating life and the accomplishment of three decades.  My sister turned 30 two weeks ago.  Last week, her husband planned and executed a happy birthday party surprise for her.  Friends from throughout her life and family members gathered to celebrate the milestone.  And of course… true to family tradition… there was a lot of food.

It was a happy celebration in the middle of visits to my grandmother’s house when we all started to organize objects, furniture, and memories so we could take them apart and bring them into our own homes.  This is one of those times when I realize how very lucky I am to be in this family.  It is one of those shifts that could create rifts… but the humility, grace, and generosity with which this was done has and continues to fill me with awe.  We are truly a family that loves one another… and loves the woman who made that happen.

I was very happy to get a baking pan from the kitchen and decided the best inauguration for its use in my own kitchen was a bar for my sister’s party.   Remembering that once upon a time chocolate and mint were a preferred combination for her, I decided to make chocolate mint brownies.  Maybe I was projecting my own tastebuds on her palate, because they were definitely one of my favorites to come from my grandmother’s recipes.

Of course, being this insane month of January, I was nervous I wouldn’t even be able to make the bars… but serendipity landed me with a free Thursday before the weekend so I could make the brownie base.  This recipe comes in two steps, plus the half step in between to cool things down.  So when I’m juggling a week of rehearsals, dinner plans, and the performance those rehearsals were to lead up to, it’s a wonder I could cook anything at all.  But cook it I did.  Thursday I made the brownie.  Friday it had the chance to cool down.  And Saturday morning, it got the peppermint treatment.

One could, of course, just as easily do this in the course of an afternoon – maybe even with the help of a refrigerator… which is indeed necessary at the end.

Chocolate Mint Brownies
Ingredients:
½ c. margarine (Oleo)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 1 oz. sq. chocolate melted
½ c. flour
½ c. chopped nuts
Heat oven to 350°. Cream margarine and sugar.  Blend in eggs.  Stir in chocolate: ad flour and nuts.  Mix well.  Pour into greased 9 inch square pan.  Bake at 350° 25 min.   Cool.  Frost with peppermint frosting.  Let stand until firm.  Melt chocolate with margarine.  Spread over frosting.  Chill 30 minutes until chocolate is set.  Cut into squares.
Peppermint Frosting
2 Tbsp. margarine
1 c. sifted confectioners sugar
1 Tbsp. milk
¼ tsp peppermint extract

Melt 1 ox. unsweetened chocolate +  1 Tbsp. margarine


I thought it said Tbsp not tsp of peppermint extract.  It didn’t seem to matter much.  I only had two small squares left at the end of the party… and that was because I was sneaky.

It’s a thin layer of frosting… and a thin topping of chocolate… but it definitely makes it a different brownie.  The chocolate all by itself would have been well enough.  But the extra flavor makes it so much more than a simple brownie.  Layers add a lot to flavor.  Sometimes we know they are there.  And sometimes, as with this brownie, I never actually thought about the separate pieces before I actually made it last week.  The peppermint is an important piece of this, as is the hardened chocolate on the top.  But none of it would matter without the base of that very basic brownie.

I found myself thinking about layers and foundations this weekend – well after the hubbub of my sister’s birthday had passed, but as I entered my grandmother’s house as its identity was making a shift from my grandmother’s house to my aunt’s house.  The furniture was removed in different stages throughout the day.  I was there to take home the dining room set.  As the buffet, china closet, and table were removed, the room looked much… bigger… looser… without the compact fitting of those three pieces and the other tables that filled all the wall space.  Even with the haphazard placing of chairs, it was as if that loosening had shook out the memories of those walls.  I could see and understand for the first time how that room was once not a dining room.  

I’ve seen it in the old home movies when there was a chair and couch and someone dodging the camera.  I know the history of the house is that the dining room was the original TV room, where Nana Rose and her sister held court.  But it was always so difficult to see when the dining room I have always known, always seen was locked into my vision.  But that removal of the major pieces made the room a different space, with more space… and the possibility of a couch and the positioning of the TV console that was eventually hollowed out for us to play in.  

So I thought about that as I took one of my trips in the U-Haul yesterday trying to think how to capture this transition, this bittersweet leap between past and future… and connect it to a recipe of chocolate and mint.  Chocolate and mint together is always great in my book.  But sometimes the layers are on their own and have their own flavor.  Their own sweet deliciousness.  
  
And so that room – now seeming so empty without the pieces that made it the room I knew – has its layers.  The room I never knew that changed seven or eight years before I was born.  The one in which I remember watching my grandfather mash a potato.  And the one yet to take shape with new paint and wood and furniture.  But just like all the layers of that brownie, they are sweet and full of flavor and the perfect way to celebrate with Brennans.

No comments:

Post a Comment